Updated: Emerging Clout of Native Voters Calls for Respect
Update: Feb 19,2010--I have been told by inside party operatives there is a growing support base on the street for my campaign, based on these observations of these long-time Democratic leaders, there is a strong likelihood I will emerge as the primary winner--set to challenge Rehberg. I am told the street support for the two Democratic contenders is "weak," to use the term used by this unidentified source. They note turnout to rallies has been very slim, there is a great deal of disinterest. Locally, the support structure for these two candidates appears to be crumbling, creating an atmosphere of outright hostility. There is a circle the wagons mentality that seems to be taking shape. I would go so far to say, the state party inner cliques--which are the core of the Baucus party machine, are in the early stages of collapse. There is a vital need for new leadership at the state party/community level to step up with me, for the very reason: PEOPLE ARE SICK OF THE STATUS QUO, PEOPLE WANT CHANGE!
Baucus and his party machine have not delivered, people are hurting, people are angry, people want answers! I am rarely in the local media for the reason, at this juncture, I do not fully trust them. There are local news organizations who are entrenched and part of the party apparatus. They are as disconnected with mainstreet--be it in Browning, or Eureka; as the party leaders they serve. I am obtaining national interest however, I believe my features in the Huffington Post have helped stall the disastrous industry-giveaway Baucus health industry reform bill. We are now back to what we would have thought unthinkable just a few weeks ago--the PUBLIC OPTION IS BACK ON THE TABLE. The more progressive elements of the national Democratic party see candidates like me as having increasing viability to reconnect the party back to the people. This has to be done in short order for the fall elections. Progressive operatives here in Missoula are resentful, and bitter. They have a good reason to be, they will no longer stuff the party agenda down the throats of the Indian voters. We have had a long history of that, that is in the past. We are viable party leaders, we demand respect. The in-party political atmosphere is a microcosm of what is going on at the national level.
After Coakley's stunning loss of the late Sen. Kennedy's old seat; the Democrat blue dogs have been forced from the table. This includes our Sen. Baucus. Progressives like Sharrod Brown, are moving front and center; it is up to in-state party progessives to get with the program. I urge them to do it at this time. The status quo, which McDonald and Gernant represent; will not win elections. I am outside the party political structure, given the dismal failure to lead by the failed Blue Dog coalition (when they hijacked the agenda); It is a badge of honor for me. Baucus is the political godfather of Gernant--McDonald was party chair that has given us a poorly organized, weak party that failed to deliver Montana to Obama in 2008. We have a way to go to arrive at where we want to be. It will require a supportable candidate to take on Rehberg or Otjen in November.
Dec/Jan Original Post
This is my opinion, I have been attempting to be heard on the state and national levels since declaring my candidacy in October for Montana's sole seat in the U.S. House. I am very much a creature outside of party pipeline politics, I am not a Democratic party animal. I am outside of the mainstream, and if ever there was a level playing field in the Montana Democratic field of candidates in 2010; this is it. Neither Dennis McDonald nor Tyler Gernant have ever held elected office. There seems to be a great deal of distrust toward my campaign so far. Support by party leadership is extremely muted if non-existent. I believe I am enjoying a growing base among the liberal wing of the state party--their initial support has been encouraging. I believe it is a starting point.
I am challenging the status quo--for a good and noble reason. For Native Americans to aspire to higher office, the state Democratic electorate must reciprocate and support Native American candidates. Native American voters have been loyal to the Democratic party for decades. My own family's efforts with the Democratic party date to the New Deal era. This was the post-1924 era when Native Americans were granted citizenship, and the right to vote. I want to see Native Americans work toward establishing leadership in the state party at all levels; the federal level is the next logical step. I believe my candidacy is healthy for party politics. It is a historical trend that minorities trend toward low turnout in midterm elections. This is not conducive to keeping Democratic majorities in Congress. 2010 will turn into a nail biter for this reason.
The Democrats have not worked fast enough to turn this economy around; there is a growing 'angry populism' as the result of the TARP bailouts and a sluggish stimulus. Democrats are now reluctant to enact an expanded stimulus. It is more obvious with each passing day that the minority, women and youth supporters of President Obama are disillusioned with the change President. We need these people to vote; they are the constituencies most likely to tune out and drop out of the electoral process. I am concerned with the controversy surrounding health legislation to begin with; single payer would have been a great rallying point for these groups. It was taken off the table by our own Senator. Then came the stimulus; it targeted those who were not drowning in poverty. These groups were again, left on our own.
Then came the Afghanistan troop surge--this action, unsupported by the American people--will delay and detour the help women, minorities and youth need to address their living conditions. I get a sense of urgency among the young, white, female voters--they are working slave wages, with no ability to save, they are finding themselves in economic desperation. These voters have every reason to become discouraged voters at this point. I am worried. There is no reason a Democrat cannot win Montana's lone house seat this year, given Rehberg's own embarrassments. But if our party does not get its act together in short order, he may very well cruise into another term. There is a need for the party to coalesce around a candidate and begin to work at raising the money needed that will topple Rehberg.
I have to say that the Gopher family has always been a family of good ideas, we put our ideas to action time and again. We have been at the forefront of progressive change in Montana since Native Americans gained the right to vote in 1924. We have proven ourselves, we have advanced the public interest without the platform of a public office. I come from a family of proven leaders; it is this time in our nation's history when leadership matters. I believe this is a must. I am worried the Baucus party machine, now in turmoil over the Melodee scandal--will have a detrimental effect not only in the state in 2010--but nationwide. The TEAbaggers may very well regain Republican control in Congress. We all know how well that went last time.
No comments:
Post a Comment